#1
Teen jailed over deadly crash, 'cowardly' bashing
Months after a brutal assault confined an unsuspecting stranger to lifelong disability, a teenager upended the lives of another family.
The 18-year-old was jailed on Tuesday over the death of his friend and an earlier episode of violence in Melbourne in 2025.
"It cannot be forgotten that a life was lost and another was irrevocably altered as a result of (your offending) over two (incidents)," Victorian County Court Chief Judge Amanda Chambers said.
The offender watched with arms crossed over
展开查看正文
Months after a brutal assault confined an unsuspecting stranger to lifelong disability, a teenager upended the lives of another family.
The 18-year-old was jailed on Tuesday over the death of his friend and an earlier episode of violence in Melbourne in 2025.
"It cannot be forgotten that a life was lost and another was irrevocably altered as a result of (your offending) over two (incidents)," Victorian County Court Chief Judge Amanda Chambers said.
The offender watched with arms crossed over video link from prison but did not show any emotion as he was jailed for eight-and-a-half years.
A non-parole period of four years and six months was set.
Drunk and driving unlicensed, the then-17-year-old was speeding in a stolen SUV in the early hours of May 18, 2025, when he ran a red light and crashed into an oncoming car.
His vehicle spun out of control and smashed into a pole at an intersection in Tarneit in Melbourne's west, causing the driver - who had been released on probation nine days earlier - to be ejected from the car.
Friend and rear passenger Kevin Lomena-Olenga, 16, was found unconscious half-hanging out of the car and later died in hospital from a traumatic head injury.
The driver, who had been released on parole nine days earlier and suffered pelvic injuries, pleaded guilty to culpable driving causing death, unlicensed driving and theft.
Kevin's mother Bora Mireye told of her grief, saying she cries all night when she dreams of him and questions whether God is punishing her.
Three months before the fatal crash, the teen driver had been involved in a violent assault which left Valentino Arop with a lifelong disability.
He admitted to affray and intentionally causing serious injury.
The then-juvenile was with five others when they came across Mr Arop and his friends inside a Flemington housing tower car park in the early hours of February 6, 2025.
After an argument, the teen king-hit Mr Arop.
The subsequent brain injury was so catastrophic that the victim, aged in his 30s, was placed in a coma and now suffers a permanent disability, relying on family and support workers for everyday tasks.
Judge Chambers described the offending as "plainly very serious" and noted it ended in "catastrophic consequences".
"That you continued to kick and assault (Mr Arop) at a time he was lying unconscious on the ground was cowardly and inhumane," she said.
While the offending occurred before Victoria's "adult time for violent crime" laws took effect, crown prosecutor Nanette Rogers SC called for an adult sentence due to the grave and horrifying consequences of the offending.
Defence barrister Naomi Smith argued her client would be vulnerable in custody and had endured a dysfunctional childhood, complete with a mother struggling with substance abuse and homelessness and an absent father.
He also acquired a severe brain injury from a separate car crash in 2023.
Her client, who cannot be identified as he was a juvenile at the time of the offending, had acknowledged the tragic consequences of his actions, Ms Smith said.
Judge Chambers recommended the Adult Parole Board consider transferring the 18-year-old, who has already served 383 days in pre-sentence detention, to a youth detention facility to serve out his sentence.
打开原文链接
#2
Iconic iPhone X officially joins Apple's obsolete products list
Apple has officially classified the iPhone X and 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro as obsolete, ending official repair services and replacement parts for both devices.
The decision is based on how long it has been since Apple stopped distributing the iPhone X and 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro for sale. It means Apple and its authorized service providers will no longer offer hardware repairs or replacement parts for the devices.
Released in 2017, the iPhone X was one of the most transformative iPhones in App
展开查看正文
Apple has officially classified the iPhone X and 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro as obsolete, ending official repair services and replacement parts for both devices.
The decision is based on how long it has been since Apple stopped distributing the iPhone X and 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro for sale. It means Apple and its authorized service providers will no longer offer hardware repairs or replacement parts for the devices.
Released in 2017, the iPhone X was one of the most transformative iPhones in Apple's history. It was the first iPhone to eliminate the Home button and its integrated Touch ID sensor in favor of Face ID. It also marked Apple's first use of an OLED display on an iPhone, setting a new design direction for its flagship smartphone.
But technologies that were groundbreaking when the iPhone X arrived are now nearly a decade old. Years after the device was discontinued, Apple has officially brought its hardware support lifecycle to an end.
How does Apple classify 'vintage' and 'obsolete' products?
Apple has relatively clear rules governing when devices are classified as "vintage" or "obsolete."
A product is considered "vintage" when Apple stopped distributing it for sale more than five but less than seven years ago.
During this period, Apple may continue to provide repairs and replacement parts for up to seven years from the date the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability.
Once a device has not been distributed for sale for more than seven years, Apple officially classifies it as "obsolete." At that point, Apple and its authorized service providers no longer provide hardware service or order genuine replacement parts for the device.
For the iPhone X, its addition to the obsolete products list means owners can no longer turn to Apple for official hardware repairs if their phones develop problems.
iPhone X faced several problems in its early days
The iPhone X did more than introduce a major design shift with its edge-to-edge display and distinctive "notch." It also encountered several hardware issues during its early years on the market.
In 2017, some users reported green lines appearing vertically along the edges of the iPhone X's OLED display. Other cases involved problems with Face ID, a crucial component of the phone's new Home button-free design.
Apple offered device replacements at its stores for some of these problems. However, the iPhone X was never subject to a broad recall.
Even so, the iPhone X left a significant mark on the smartphone industry. Its edge-to-edge display, Face ID and removal of the Home button became familiar features across many subsequent generations of the iPhone.
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro also declared obsolete
Alongside the iPhone X, Apple has added the 15-inch MacBook Pro released in 2018 to its obsolete products list.
The model was notable for being among the early generations to feature Apple's T2 security chip. The processor handled several important functions, including protecting Touch ID data, managing secure boot processes and strengthening the Mac's security.
However, the 2018 MacBook Pro was also associated with one of Apple's most controversial keyboard designs: the butterfly keyboard.
Users complained about its durability and keys becoming stuck. Apple subsequently launched a keyboard service program covering certain MacBook models, which continued until 2024 before ending.
iPhone X and MacBook Pro 2018 owners must now turn to third parties
On the software side, the iPhone X cannot officially be upgraded beyond iOS 16, while the 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro cannot officially update beyond macOS Sequoia. Even projects aimed at advanced users, such as OpenCore Legacy Patcher, cannot completely overcome the limitations of aging hardware support.
With both devices now classified as obsolete by Apple, people who continue using an iPhone X or 2018 MacBook Pro will have to turn to third-party repair shops if they need replacement parts or hardware repairs.
By 2026, however, spending money to repair devices approaching a decade in age may no longer make economic sense. The cost of parts and labor, combined with the risk of additional failures, could lead users to consider replacing their devices rather than continuing to maintain products that have officially reached the end of Apple's hardware support lifecycle.
打开原文链接